New York Stem Cell Foundation, Research Institute Laboratory
The New York Stem Cell (NYSCF) Research Institute, for interdisciplinary translational research, exemplifies the integration of architecture and science to create a state-of-the-art facility that supports and showcases the Foundation’s cutting edge research.
NYSCF relocated its expanded research and administrative operations to a new 40,000 square-foot facility on two floors of a 1929 manufacturing building located in midtown’s far west side.
The working stem cell laboratory is located at the heart of the plan, separated by glass from the circulation and administration areas allowing natural light from the perimeter to penetrate into this central research space.
The central north-south circulation path (the Gallery) serves as a spine through the laboratory floor, bridging office program at either end, defining support spaces and featuring tours surrounding the clean-air laboratory.
The use of glass in the design creates a visual connection between the Foundation’s two complementary functions – administration and research. Transparency allows NYSCF staff, visitors and supporters to observe and participate in the scientific process without physically entering the lab or disrupting the research activity.
An open stair leads to a large commons area on the Second Floor, designed to accommodate informal gathering for collaborative exchange and interaction between staff and scientists, colleagues and invited guests.
The new, flexibly configured lecture space will serve not only the NYSCF community but also allow them to host external meetings and symposia for scientists and innovators from all over the world. The commons area includes conference rooms, a pantry, dining space, casual social space as well as the large flexible lecture hall.
- New York, NY
- 40,000 GSF
- Research, Lab fit-out, stand-alone MEP equipment, infrastructure, administrative office, commons and collaborative spaces
- Ennead Design Team
- Duncan Hazard, Lois Mate, Marc Schaut, Todd Van Varick, Anna Baez, Suzanne Troiano
- Jaros, Baum & Bolles
- Jacobs Consultancy
- Aislinn Weidele/Ennead Architects
- Miller, Linda. "In the News: Medical Miracles Made in Manhattan: New York Stem Cell Foundation relocates to Ennead-designed facility" (AIA New York Center for Architecture, 5/31/2017)
- Lewis, Caroline. "Asked and Answered Biotech" (Crain's New York, 5/3/2017)